Welcome to Vauxhall Park – a small park with a big heart!
Path closures week of 21 September
- Fentiman Road/Stanley Close gate shut 21/9 reopens 22/9
- Lawn Lane/South Lambeth Road gate shut 22/9 reopens 23/9
- South Lambeth Road/Fentiman Road gate shut 23/9 reopens 24/9 (Parco’s gate opposite Travis Perkins will still be open)
Friends of Vauxhall Park AGM Saturday 7 November at 11am
Bolney Meadow Community Centre, 31 Bolney Street SW8 1EZ
All Welcome but please let us know beforehand if you would like to come along, email: email@example.com
Lambeth have published several important documents recently:
- 2020-21 Lambeth General Maintenance Specification
- Lambeth Parks and Open Spaces Strategic Plan – 2020-2025
- Lambeth Biodiversity Action Plan
If you have any comments about any of these documents, please email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vauxhall Park’s Masterplan Latest update
The Dog Area and Tennis Court areas, including two new table tennis tables, are now fully open. We look forward to the Fawcett Garden opening in the next couple of weeks. The playground will open once the new surfaces are complete and the safety of the equipment has been signed off. Final resurfacing of the path network is expected soon. Tree Works and refurbishment of the Tennis Courts will take place in October
Please click here to read the revised plan. Lambeth Council and Idverde anticipate that the works will now be finished by early August. We look forward to continuing to work with Lambeth Council to steer the works forward and seeing the much improved park. The future of the Green One O’Clock Club Building will be considered under Phase 2 of the Masterplan for which a budget has been allocated. The heritage railings along the South Lambeth Road will be installed in the coming weeks.
The main areas of work are:
* New Play space
* Central lawn reconfigured with a realingment of the path running parallel to Lawn Lane (reflecting Fanny Wilkinson’s original layout). This will provide a better experience for people using that path and create a improved use of the space in that area
* New formal garden planting and renewed Lavender Field with the human sundial at its heart
* Footpaths resurfaced and the diagonal line across the central lawn improved
* Tennis Courts upgraded, 2 Table Tennis tables installed near to Parco Cafe
* Refurbishment of the Muga with new surfaces, improved goals, a second entrance gate and better perimeter fencing to mitigate the noise
* Long term tree maintenance, new shrub and hedge planting
* Upgraded dog area with planting around its perimeter to lessen its visual impact on the Park
* New heritage railings along the South Lambeth Road
* Improved setting of the fountain
Information about the phasing of the work will be displayed on the Park noticeboards and who to contact if you have a query. As the park is being kept open during the works, it will be necessary to close off some areas of the Park and the entance gates may be out of use. We hope you will understand the need for this and it will not cause you too much inconvenience.
Another Green Flag!
We are delighted that Vauxhall Park has once again beeen awarded a coveted Green Flag Award for 2019/20. These flags, similar to the Blue Flag scheme for beaches, are given to recognise open spaces of high quality. We are very grateful to our volunteer gardeners, Martin (Vauxhall Park’s gardener) and the hard work of the Lambeth Parks Department. We would also like to congratulate the other 15 open spaces in Lambeth that have achieved Green Flag status and the three open spaces awarded a Community Flag
For further information please visit the Green Flag Award website
About Vauxhall Park
This Award winning park has been at the heart of our community for over 125 years. From its very beginnings its ambition has been to be a place of relaxation and enjoyment for people living, working or just visiting Vauxhall. We are very proud of our history (please see History page for further details) and delighted that one of our founders, Millicent Fawcett the great Suffragist, will be the first woman to be honoured with a statue in Parliament Square. We would love to get to know you – please do join us, it costs from only £3 (see the Join Us page), even if you don’t want to be an active member of the Friends we would like to have you as a member to represent a broad a cross section of the community as possible. Please explore our website and let us know if you have any comments.
Vauxhall Park was opened on 7th July 1890 by Albert, Prince of Wales (read more about our history here). It is located in the London Borough of Lambeth on the South Lambeth Road (A203) at its junction with Fentiman Road (B301) and comprises about eight and a half acres of land. In 2015 we celebrate 125 years of Vauxhall Park.
The Park facilities include a playground catering for aged 10 and under, the One O’Clock Club (see”Essential info”, right, for opening hours), a multi use games area predominantly for basketball/netball, Parco Cafe, two tennis courts, chess tables (bring your own pieces, or use those in Parco Cafe) in the lavender garden, the Vauxhall Motors Centenary Lavender Garden, rose pergola, the model village, an orchard, two fenced dog areas, a human sundial (in the lavender garden) and the Oval Montessori Nursery School.
Vauxhall Park has been awarded the prestigious Green Flag Award for seven years in a row. The Green Flag Award Scheme recognises and rewards the best green spaces in the country, meaning that Vauxhall Park is one of the best of 1,452 green spaces in the country!
About The Friends of Vauxhall Park
How to find the park
Be careful not to confuse us with Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens (formerly Spring Gardens).